It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Loki! Tell me about your new wheels!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:14 pm 
I saw them briefly as I was leaving. What is it? Do you actually get the gas mileage that the seller said? Any more punchy than what you used-to-had? Get a good price for it?

Post subject: Re: Loki! Tell me about your new wheels!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:48 pm 
Fluke

Ahem:

My new car is a 1966 Ford Galaxy 500, with a 289 V8 and a 3-speed manual transmission. Yeah, that's right: I'm learning to drive stick. And by that, I mean I haven't started yet, except for moving it around in the parking lot. But now it's registered temporarily pending I/M, and can be driven around now. So, any volunteers for helping me learn?

Also, the price was $1100, an absurdly low price for the condition of the car and the 116k miles on it. The only needed work is a carb adjustment/replacement, a reversal of the lowered rear end(the last owner was a dumbass), and various interior/exterior cosmetic work. All in all, it's a beautiful car that I look forward to cruising around in very soon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:56 pm 
Always happy to help... but I haven't consistently driven stick in a while so maybe you're better asking someone else.

Only advice I have for a newbie: When first learning, it's okay to ride the clutch a little when starting out in first gear. Way better to do that for 20 ft than it is to dump the clutch, jerk the car, sputter, and die.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:16 pm 
Roundworm

I don't know you, but if no one else will help, I can teach you how to drive stick. Since I am sure someone else will end up teaching you, I will leave you with the most important piece of advice: Just get out there and drive! It takes about 10-15 minutes to learn all you can in a parking lot. The rest is just getting out there and practicing. You will occasionally fail, and maybe get some looks from frustrated drivers who missed the light because you stalled, but oh well. If you drive around on the street for a week, you will be good enough to handle most anything without stalling or causing embarrassing moments.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]