It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Socialized healthcare... good? bad? what would work?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 pm 
I'm continually hearing people screaming that our healthcare system is broken. I want to know why and how it's broken, and some proposed solutions.

I'll start by saying that I think our healthcare system is pretty freakin decent. It's there. It's intact. It's progressing. It's the health insurance system that people should be whining about.

Also, what services should be provided by healthcare? Should each patient get their own room? Televisions? Views? Should only the wealthy/insured patients get these things?

Lets hear it.

Post subject: Re: Socialized healthcare... good? bad? what would work?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 pm 
You have more insight into the problem than 90% of Americans, and for that, I am proud that you are my brother.

I am all for socialized medicine. Really. I DO NOT think that anyone should be denied healthcare based on finances, and I really DO NOT think that anyone should be in $500,000 debt because they need to have an appendix removed, but lack insurance.

As you mentioned, I think that Americans need to change their mindsets regarding healthcare. I'm sitting at the hospital right now, and every patient has a 160 square foot room, a 10 page room service menu, a private bathroom, cable TV, and a "do not disturb" sign.

Americans are really ingrained to think that healthcare=Hilton. Even with these luxuries, we get dozens of complaints every month. "Not quiet enough at night." "Not enough cable channels." "Pillows not soft enough."

I think it is RIDICULOUS! It would be nice to pay for luxuries, but that is called classism, and wouldn't fly.

In many socialized countries, shared rooms are standard. Pain is an expected part of surgery and labor/delivery, and narcotics are reserved for special occasions. Alternative pain relief (heat and warm, deep breathing, meditation, etc.) methods are the standard. Food comes on a good old fashioned elementary school lunch tray.

But they allow booze. :)

Also, to make this feasible, there needs to be a far better system of checks and balances when it comes to lawsuits, plain and simple. I think that there are some very rightful suits, some less so, and some that are ridiculous. The bottom two categories are costing hundreds of thousands of dollars each in attorneys and insurance, which is an enormous chunk of why healthcare is so expensive.

So I think that along with healthcare reform, there needs to be education about what it entails. And I REALLY think we need to buck up and get over our superficial lust for luxury. That's what it boils down to. A plain white room and a roommate sucks, but you will get better. And in healthcare, isn't that all that really matters?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]