[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
T E A M W O R M . org • View topic - More service
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: More service
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:44 am 
Mealworm

Long story short, I'm looking for a service project to dive into but I don't know where to look. Help?

Post subject: Re: More service
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:47 pm 
Roundworm

Ideas:
-Paint my house
-volunteer with Boy Scouts
-Go serve at the food bank/shelter
-paint my garage floor
-go find some pan handlers and play guitar/sing next to them to increase their revenue
-Volunteer with one of the groups that takes health care to other countries (my wife has been to Nepal and Africa doing this)--> universities will have contact info on this
-Join the peace corp
-Start a volunteer/service/helping mankind organization (I came up with one called "U Can Help", but got engaged and busy so never fully implemented it. You are welcome to pick it up where I left off).
-Paint my house

http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/in ... =84415%2C+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:14 pm 
HA HA HAAAA! This is damndest thing ever
http://www.superherostuff.com/character ... ndise.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:48 am 
Roundworm

New idea:

Become involved with, or start a political action committee. You can help more people by helping the people in the hill get their heads on straight. For example, if the idiotic legislature hadn't spent the billions of dollars in surplus the last few years, then we could lower taxes and use the surplus as a supplement. Instead they spent it and now at every election they want to increase it some arbitrary amount because of a stupid project that no one really wants anyway (like a $#@^$(^$#)&$#@)&%!#)*^ $# soccer stadium).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:57 am 
I'll leave the capitol hill stuff to the capitol hill people and the bunches of protesters already.

I just read more about The Foundation for a Better Life because I really like what they've been doing. Turns out that after reading, I like them even more. How cool is this?
http://www.forbetterlife.org/about_us/faq.asp

Too bad I can't volunteer for them. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 pm 
To expand on this idea a little more, I'm looking for something to do in my spare time to "broaden my horizons" a little more. Something that will force me to step out of my comfort zone a little.

My church is already starting up a program to visit shut-ins and I plan on getting more involved here. Other prominent opportunities involve:

1. Teaching English to immigrants
2. Getting involved somehow as a Big Brother
3. Getting involved w YouthCity (I don't really know what that is)

I'm looking for something that will help me either develop a new perspective or a new skill along the way, too. Or really use something I'm interested in like web design or physical training. I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:08 am 
All of your ideas sound very noble.

That being said, right now there is a DESPERATE need for food, supplies, and volunteers at shelters and organizations that cater to the needy and homeless. With the economy crashing, there are lots of people in need, and less free cash to donate.

Just an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 am 
Why are you trying so hard to get invloved in organized atempts at helping people? No offense, but I bet you could get alot done on your own. For instance, finding elderly (or otherwise uncapable) folks in your hood and rake their leaves and shovel their driveways. Or, go to the Bishops Storehouse, where groceries are dirt cheap, and get some items for people in need. We all know where to look, dont need a program to tell us where to help. You could just take 10% (or whatever you can spare+-) of your income in cash and drive around downtown and hand a couple bucks here and there to homeless poeple. And if it makes you feel better, you could do it all while wearing a mask! Then fleeing away across the rooftops! Sh-Sh-Shaa!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:27 pm 
I get a surprising amount done on my own, but I'm looking more for a selfish opportunity to reach out and grow. Something that's going to pull me out of my everyday stuff. Maybe I can learn more about another culture, brush up on language, or learn to play the blues harp for chump-change. I dunno. I need something new.

...but laundry keeps me from it. damn you, soiled clothes!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm 
Can you join a social service group that does laundry for seniors? Then you can sneak in your chores with your community service. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next