It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Disney.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 pm 
Looking at the entire set of movies (which is enormous), which is Disney best at: animation or live-action.

I've been a lifelong fan of Disney, simply because they have a knack for making great movies. Yes, there are some that I despise. Take away the popularity and did anyone notice that the plot of The Little Mermaid is the story of a 15-year-old girl who runs away from home to be with an older man who she's never met? The Country Bears was just silly, and to this day, Meet the Deedles makes no sense to me.

Nonetheless, there are some great films. Animation-wise, anything Pixar is simply amazing, and some of my favorites include Mulan (what woman didn't cry during the song Reflection?), Sleeping Beauty (not only a great fairy tale, but Maleficent is really one of the great movie villains of all time), and The Lion King.

And then there are the live actions, often forgotten in the genre. As far as I am concerned, The Three Musketeers and Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl rate among the BEST action movies of all time. And nobody can jerk tears like a Disney live action . . . call it strange but I accuse them of taking manly sports and turning them into chick flicks. I cry EVERY time I watch Cool Runnings and Remember the Titans. Oh, and while I thought it was simply a fun film when I was a kid, I now admit that the older I get, the longer and harder I cry every time I watch Angels in the Outfield.

And then there are the very strange crossover films. Originally somewhat innocent like Song of the South and Mary Poppins, the animation/live action drama took a somewhat creepy twist last year when they did Enchanted. (And not that it's related, but did anyone else notice Susan Sarandon's gazongas?!)

Anybody have an opinion on this one?

Oh, BTW, if you want to see the (incredibly long) list of films that Disney has made, you can see it here:
http://www.disneymovieslist.com/disney-movies.asp

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Disney.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:41 pm 
Thankfully, no. I recall nothing about Susan Sarandon's gazongas.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]