It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The physical incapability of entertaining oneself.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 am 
Looking around, I seen an increasing number of people using technology for entertainment at all times. IPhones, texting, PSPs . . . those are for travel. When at home, cable and gaming hardware is a MUST. Oh, and Internet is now so standard that we get it at work to help us pass the night. Long gone are days of the symphony, long hikes, and books. We are so engrained to be able to skip through songs and scenes or in need of constant stimulation that those passe activities are no longer appealing to our shortened attention spans.

In an increasing amount of movies, filmmakers explore the possibility of technology eventually becoming so omnipresent in our lives that it takes us over. This is the plot in films such as The Matrix and Gamer.

Tonight, however, I've been musing over the possibility that once technology reaches this point, reality will be too mundane for us ever to experience happiness. What if we escape the Matrix, and we find ourselves bored to tears with the freedom of not having technology to deal with? What then?

Post subject: Re: The physical incapability of entertaining oneself.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am 
Fluke

Remember those old bumper stickers that read "Kill Your Television"? I believe its worse than tv these days. I know someone who keeps their stoopd touch screen digital phone thingy in their hand at all times. I hate my cell phone. No, I dont want a new one. Some days I want to play skeet with it. I cant stand it when you are trying to talk to someone, and they are looking at the thing in their hand and not at me. I honestly dont have that much to say, or know enough people that care about what I think. I will never have a dvd player in my car. My children will not have that kind of mind numbing distraction. LOOK OUT THE WINDOW! That's where the world lives. I know where every address in town is because I starred out the window while being driven around as a child. My boy is two years old, and already knows the way to grandpa's house. If I had a dvd player in my vehicle, he would only know the way stop Skeletor, is to sic your green tiger on him.

Lets go hiking. Or fishing. The fishing at Strawberry Res. is fantastic this time of year. Whatever, we'll just leave all our cell phones and iPods and Gigapets at home.

Post subject: Re: The physical incapability of entertaining oneself.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:03 pm 
Battlecat was green??? :o

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]