[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
T E A M W O R M . org • View topic - B-Movie actors have been on my mind of late . . .
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: B-Movie actors have been on my mind of late . . .
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 am 
Fluke

I'm musing on who is most likely to be titled the greatest modern day B-movie actor. By modern, I'm including post 1970s. Let me know your vote . . .

Bruce Campbell
The Down and Dirty: Bruce is the shoe-in. His name has become synonymous with the B-movie genre, and has brought a certain flair and dignity to the genre as a whole. Known for his long-running series of campy films and an unusually prominent chin, Bruce actually tours the country and writes books on his life as a B-movie actor.
Why he Should Win: He is the prototype when it comes to the modern B-movie. Having been originally casted in what were intended to be "serious" horror flicks, he has gained cult noteriety and actually seems to have a knack for choosing scripts that have the "it factor" that cross the fine line between stupidity and campy. Fans will flock to theatres for any film he is in, regardless of the production budget. He brings legitimacy to the genre.
Why he Shouldn't Win: Considering that the term "B-movie" is a generic term for a low budget film expected to be out of the spotlight, having a star who automatically turns a film into a money-making cult classic almost seems an oxymoron.
B-Movie Claims to Fame: Ash Williams in The Evil Dead Series, The Surgeon General in Escape from L.A., Elvis Presley in The Bubba Ho-Tep series, and Chicken Bittle in The Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie for Theaters.

Sid Haig
The Down and Dirty: In the world of B-movie actors, Sid represents the dark and twisted side of horror. He has become synonymous with blood, guts, and the delightfully demented. While he hasn't gained quite the same movie star status as many other well-known actors in the genre, his bone chilling face is unforgettable after leaving one of his films.
Why he Should Win: Hands down, he has the one of the strongest careers in B-movie history. He has been in the genre for well over 3 decades, ranging from blaxploitation to slasher to remake. He is sought out by some of the biggest names in the modern exploitation genre, and seems to spend very little time seeking out conventional roles.
Why he Shouldn't Win: While he has arguably the strongest B-movie resume in existence, he has not made a strong name for himself outside of the very devoted cult and horror film fan bases. His most memorable films are remakes of old exploitation films made specifically by the directors to become cult classics sold based on director, rather than the low budget camp that most B-movies suffer. Oh, and not that it SHOULD count, but he's of middle eastern ethnicity. Pretty cool, huh?
B-Movie Claims to Fame: Hays in Foxy Brown, Captain Spaulding in The House of 1000 Corpses series, Jay in Kill Bill: Vol. 2, Gerald Tovar Jr. in Night of the Living Dead: 3D, and Chester in Rob Zombie's Halloween. Really, kids, Sid's track record is too amazing to list here. Plus some titles are not very work friendly, but he's got a LOT.

Warwick Davis
The Down and Dirty: Perhaps the best known "little actor" of our times, he seems to be a shoe in for EVERY part in a fantasy movie requiring the actor to be under 4'0". In fact, it is nothing short of miraculous that he was not cast as Gimli in Lord of the Rings, probably because he was busy that week. His acting style is heartwarming, if not predictable, and while few seem to know his name, every B-movie fan seems to be an expert on every one of his films.
Why he Should Win: Fantasy movies, regardless of quality, fight over him to take on a significant role. His resume includes almost entirely fantasy films which have gained cult status over time.
Why he Shouldn't Win: He is typecast, and while all of his characters are well known, none of them are particularly MEMORABLE.
B-Movie Claims to Fame: Wicket in The Ewok Adventure, Willow in Willow, Leprechaun in the Leprechaun series, and Goblin and Professor Flitwick in the Harry Potter series.

Will Smith
The Down and Dirty: Having gained noteriety in the early '90s as a hip-hop artist and sit-com star, this Philadelphia native gained so much street cred that most people don't realize that despite his overwhelming celebrity status, his film resume is quite short, and, moreover, is comprised almost ENTIRELY of science fiction films. Will is, in a way, the anti-Bruce Campbell: he draws a crowd based on his name. However, rather than coming to see a cult film, most of his fans expect a shoot-em-up thriller, and often don't consider him to be an actor in the sci-fi/horror genre. It is because of this that, in many ways, the style remains marketable.
Why he Should Win: Depending on one's definition of "B-movie," Smith may be the unexpected king. While his movies now are considered major box office hits, often with great critical acclaim, how many of his films will be able to stand the test of time with any level of dignity? Moreover, having looked over his credentials, one has to question if his fascination in taking sci-fi scripts does not imply that he almost wants to toy with his ability to make the genre more popular. Oh, and not that it SHOULD have any bearing, but it is widely unknown that he before he was an actor, he was accpeted to M.I.T, and is a fan of Swedish metal.
Why he Shouldn't Win: He is, in fact, a major celebrity, and almost all of his films are large budget big screen productions.
B-Movie Claims to Fame: Steven Hiller in Independence Day, Agent J in The Men In Black series, James West in Wild Wild West, Del in I, Robot, and Robert Neville in I am Legend.

Danny Trejo
The Down and Dirty: A former prison inmate turned Hollywood success story, Trejo is famous for his rugged Chicano looks, long manly mustache, and numerous tattoos. He is typecast, and it seems that one can barely separate one of his characters from the other. Despite this, the audiences don't seem to care. Everyone knows Trejo the minute he steps on screen, and despite the fact that his characters seem to be similar in almost every way, he leaves us begging for more . . . in many cases, more carnage. He is, without doubt, the modern b-movie prototype of the action genre.
Why he Should Win: Memorable, charismatic, and he has very cool ink. He has brought exploitation into a new generation of films, often being involved in memorable scenes of bloody violence which leaves the audience laughing as opposed to cringing.
Why he Shouldn't Win: All of his characters are exactly the same. Even his character in "King of the Hill" is right on par with every other character that he plays.
B-Movie Claims to Fame: Navajas in Desperado, Razor Charlie and Razor Eddie in The From Dusk 'til Dawn series, Machete in Grindhouse (rumoured to become a spin-off film series), and Ismael in Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Ron Perlman
The Down and Dirty: Not to be outdone in the badass category by Danny Trejo, Perlman is one of the single largest modern rivals in the shoot-em-up category. Whereas Trejo is more likely to be seen in a western or slasher film, Perlman tends to be found in the dark fantasy category, often behind so much makeup that he is barely discernable. He embraces an inner monster, and, rather than coming across as "the man in the rubber suit", Perlman comes across as believable, almost human in each non-human role. It is, however, because of his human-playing-a-monster-playing-a-human typecasting that could secure his place as a king amongst B-movie actors.
Why he Should Win: He puts a gentle spin on numerous fantasy characters and monsters. Besides that, his face and attitude are so memorable that they shine through fancy makeup and costumes. In fact, he is SO good at the roles that he plays that when the director and producer of Hellboy went into negotiations, both went in ready to DEMAND the part be played by Perlman, no exceptions.
Why he Shouldn't Win: Again, he is typecast. Like Trejo, he has become the badass with the same persona in every film.
B-Movie Claims to Fame: Vincent in Beauty and the Beast (not a film, technically, but close enough), Sayer of the Law in The Island of Dr. Moreau, Reinhardt in Blade II, and Hellboy in the Hellboy series.

Now I'm also open to other votes. I had about 2 dozen runners up that I had to round out on principle. Sad, eh?

Post subject: Re: B-Movie actors have been on my mind of late . . .
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:22 am 
Mealworm

Edited lovingly for formatting reasons.

I'll read this later and comment.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:18 pm 
Mealworm

My buddy Danno was trying to claim that Bubba Ho-Tep was Bruce Campbell's best movie yet. Can you confirm?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:42 am 
Fluke

DISCLAIMER: I've only ever seen the Evil Dead movies, and have yet to determine whther or not I like any of Bruce's other movies.

That said, I say to hell with movies about Elvis! Army of Darkness, suckas!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:45 pm 
Fluke

I just barely watched Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, FOR THE FIRST TIME! So, yeah. I finally know what people are talking about. My cousin has a tattoo of Ash that takes up all of one side of her torso.

I know Bruce Campbell from TV: Hercules, Xena, Jack of All Trades. Love him. He came to my college and gave a talk and did a book-signing. How odd is that? Anyway, so I have to say, despite his oxymoronic popularity as a B-Movie actor, I have to vote for him.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]