It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pinktober!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 am 
Just stumbled on this. It's a discussion regarding Komen vs other foundations. What are your thoughts?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... _donation/

Post subject: Re: Pinktober!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:52 pm 
Komen has done more for breast cancer research, hands down, than any other organization. Also, the CEO gets nothing in payment from donations. Repeat, nothing. Unheard of.

I have mixed feelings on the lawsuits regarding the funding for "the cure." On the one hand, why take away $ from organizations supporting the same cause? On the other hand, if people think they are supporting Komen, but are in fact, participating with another group, this could result in liability.

The controversy with Planned Parenthood was the dumbest thing I ever saw. They pulled funding from Planned Parenthood because they felt the money was not being used to provide breast exams. Billions of people everywhere then started turning it into an abortion debate, and pulled funding from Komen because they didn't support abortion. Surprisingly, nobody actually stopped to ask exactly where Komen's money was going. I don't know how I feel about the whole mess, because I never got any actual information, only abortion debate.

I still support Komen. I have seen more of their funding supporting BCA patients than anyone else. If you are looking for another group, I would rank Huntsman Cancer Institute and American Cancer Society in 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]