[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
T E A M W O R M . org • View topic - Turn off that racket!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 5 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Turn off that racket!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:40 pm 
Fluke

In celebration of my new broadband (and more importantly my new Rhapsody account), I'd like to open a discussion on everyone's favorite artists and songs. I'd like to know about and listen to as much good music as possible, and I'll try to give my personal opinion on all suggestions once I've listened to them. Now........GO!

Post subject: Re: Turn off that racket!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:31 pm 
Mealworm

Ludo - "Love Me Dead"

It's the first track from their album, "You're Awful, I Love You". The whole album rocks, but this has recently become a favorite song. I love everything about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:29 pm 
Fluke

I'm not very good with understanding lyrics, but I found this song pretty funny! Love the album cover, too! This band's singer resonates with me particularly because if I busted my ass and started singing some more, I could sing like that or better. Guess I have to do it now......

Also: rockin' little guitar solo. Whistling is suitable for any song!

Thanks, Wudda!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:35 pm 
Fluke

I've kind of been listening to the new Portishead off and on. It's not as good as Dummy, but I like a couple of the tracks. I'm fond of Track 3 and 6 (sorry, don't know the names, the case is in my car). I should probably give it back to its owner, but he said he doesn't need it, so I've had it for a little over a month now. *shrug*

I've also been listening to VNV Nation off and on for the last 4 months or so, along with Modest Mouse (not the stuff you hear on the radio), Our Lady Peace (one I bought about a decade ago), and mixed CDs with stuff like Voltaire (funny stuff), Concrete Blonde (I don't know if they actually spell it that way or not...I've never seen it spelled out), Dead Kennedys, etc.

I recommend

Put in the name of a band or song you like and they play songs with similar qualities. They have a "music genome project" and blah blah blah. Just check it out. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:07 pm 
Fluke

One more for now: the Dead Milkmen make me laugh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:12 am 
Mealworm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm 
Mealworm

On "The Live Music Archive" (at archive.org)....

Look for Ari Hest's cover of "Hallelujah" that he played on 10/11/2005 at Cornell University.

Keep in mind that it was recorded by just some guy sitting out in the crowd with some mics. So quality is slightly lower than what you'd expect from a live recording... but I think it sounds absolutely phenomenal.

I'm also a big fan of Ari's live voice. I wish I had that sort of deep tone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:08 pm 
Fluke

Whoa, too much stuff at once! Thank you for all the ideas, Maat. I'll look it all up and get back to you.

Which reminds me, I might as well return the favor and list some artists and songs I've been listening to:

The entire catalogue of Reel Big Fish, but especially the album named, "Why Do They Rock So Hard?"
Era Vulgaris, new album from Queens of the Stone Age. "3's and 7's" is overplayed, but it's still a brilliant song!
Pinkerton, Weezer's least successful but by far their best album. "El Scorcho" gets stuck in my head all the time.
Tim Armstrong, Rancid's lead singer, released a solo album titled "A Poet's Life." Very different, but good stuff.

Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:43 pm 
Mealworm

Reel Big Fish: The rock. They're fun. I like them.

Weezer: I want to like them, but I just can't stand it. I think they write some of the stupidest songs I've ever heard in my life and I don't understand why their fanbase is so big or so dedicated. Their latest album has grown up a little bit, but not much.

Queen of the Stone Age: Rockin! Weird music video, but rockin music. Thanks!

This link is Immortal Technique that I was talking about yesterday. Give it a listen. This particular track I really like for the content more than the sound. This was from his album in 2003 called "Revolutionary Vol 2".

http://www.djsavant.com/music/files/Imm ... ch-cms.mp3

Another for content:
http://www.djsavant.com/music/files/Imm ... th-cms.mp3

And for sound:
http://www.djsavant.com/music/files/Imm ... ayz%20.mp3

As I mentioned yesterday, I really really like him content-wise and confidently say that he's one of the brightest minds in independent hip-hop (or hip-hop at all). Those tracks are from 2003, but he just released a new album that I'm still giving a beta run on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:24 pm 
Fluke

Dead Milkmen=Very funny

I have a really hard time liking bands with female vocals, so Portishead is kind of out for me. I try, but something about it just bugs me.

Also, I've liked Modest Mouse much more ever since I listened to both albums preceding Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Not to say that that album isn't good, but I think it's important to see how a band progresses.

Page 1 of 5 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next