[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
T E A M W O R M . org • View topic - Writing a guide to dieting
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Writing a guide to dieting
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 pm 
Fluke

I, personally, like a lot of information. But, I don't want to be slammed with information all at once. I like a simple, straightforward, commonsense approach. I appreciate when I get the big picture (i.e. an overview of everything) and then have the details filled in. So, I guess almost like a summarized/annotated outline for the first section and then delve into the information after that's all taken care of. And then, directions to where to find more information. Good resources to look into. Free are always better than ones I have to buy.

Don't know if that helps you any. Everyone is different. That's just how I like to get my information. Other people get overwhelmed if you give them the big picture (or they don't really want to see it at all), but I can't look at the details until you show me how they relate to each other. And other people will just read the summarized portion, without looking at the "exceptions" or whatever other qualifying information comes with it in the more detailed portion.

You've read lots of informational stuff. How do you like things to be approached? What is it that you dislike that people do when they write health/exercise tips/guidelines? What do you like?

I hate when they tell me it is impossible to get all your nutrients as a vegetarian. It's not impossible, you just have to work at it. But you have to work at it as an omnivore too. *shrug*

I also dislike when everything is directed at men and their bodies and body-types (yet they market the book/article/whatever as if it is applicable to both). All the "good" information I find is written for men. They write some whole sections very specifically for men, but if there is anything at all about women's health in it, it is little snippits. I never find anything great for women, but I don't look super hard either. I would really prefer something that is completely generic, applicable to everyone, and then if necessary it can branch off into men's vs. women's health (or ethnic health??? or kids vs. adults???) for certain sections. This is what I want though. :)

Have you found there is any real evidence that people from different parts of the world process particular foods differently? Or is that not something that interests you at all?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 am 
I haven't read any information that specifically talks about how men/women process foods differently but I classify that with the same box as the literature that talks about how different blood types process foods differently.

In a nutshell, I view that as the noise distracting from the big picture.

Understand calories first, macronutrients second, the significance of fast-absorption vs slow-absorption foods third, and the %DV stuff last. Only until someone has a foundation of those things should they even consider looking into specific tweaks.

....i was gonna write more but i'm gonna go to bed instead....

bottom line: Big problems first, little problems second.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:55 pm 
I heard that the " MyPyramid " will let you customize a personal food pyramid based on criteria including age, height, weight, and gender. I'd be interested in finding the difference between what they suggest a male-me eats vs a female-me. I have yet to try it. Perhaps you can?

http://mypyramid.gov/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 pm 
Fluke

Freakin awesome! I love when people put together simple tools like that. It's not perfect, but it can be so helpful to so many people (who don't have the time/motivation/brain power) to figure things out for themselves. Yay for calculators! ;)

I don't have time right now to check it out thoroughly, but I will look into it later. Good stuff!

Now, if only I could give up cookies!!!! Oy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:34 pm 
Cookies are a sometimes food. Not a never food -- a sometimes food.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:43 pm 
Fluke

Ah, yes, but the cookies I am currently addicted to are about 1500 calories each. Eek! And I average 1 a day. Double-eek!! Today I had 1 1/2 of said cookies. Triple-eek!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 am 
Mealworm

Wow. I think those cookies should come with the same warning that cigarettes have!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:21 am 
Dieting depend on your plan and your exercise, if any one is not interested
or have any devotion, all the guide useless.

[Please do not spam board with links. Thanks. Edited by WuddaWaste.]

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2